In 1994, the BRCA1 (Breast Cancer Gene 1) and BRCA2 (Breast Cancer Gene 2) were identified as susceptible to breast cancer and ovarian cancer genes. Normally, BRCA1 and BRCA2 are involved in DNA repair and protect against tumor development. However , women with mutations in these genes have 56% to 87% risk of developing breast cancer and 20% to 60% risk of developing cancer ovario1 being altered function.
The identification of these mutations is a scientific breakthrough that allows affected women make important decisions about your health when there is not any manifestation of tumor process.
But who need to be mutational of genes BRCAs Test?
Patients with high-risk families:
• With 3 or more first-degree affections of breast cancer and / or ovarian
• With family first / second degree with 2 cases of ovarian cancer, and one case of breast cancer and ovarian cancer 1, or 1 case of breast cancer under age 50, or one case of breast cancer and 1 case of bilateral breast cancer in less than 50 years
• With 1 breast cancer diagnosed before age 30
• With breast and ovarian cancer in the same patient
• With bilateral breast cancer diagnosed before age 40
Patients at moderate risk families:
• With 1 case of breast cancer between 31 and 50 years
• With 2 first-degree relatives diagnosed with breast cancer between the ages of 51 and 59
• With 1 case of bilateral breast cancer more than 40 years
EMPIREO offers you the ability to search for specific mutations linked to cancer in BRCA1, BRCA2, or both genes. Choosing one or the other depends on whether you know about your family history.